Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pickled Red Onions


Pickled Red Onions:
Thank you to the amazing David Lebovitz who I borrowed this recipe from (who I borrow many recipes from). 

This was my first attempt at pickling onions... at pickling anything actually, and while it was definitely worthwhile, boy, somebody should warn you about the smell! The mixture of boiling vinegar and onions shot straight up my nose, filled up my kitchen, and burned my eyes, however, the result was delicious! They do not taste anything like they smell. The onions add a scrumptious sweetness to the tacos. I love when restaurants garnish a gourmet taco with pickled red onions and I gotta pat myself on the back for the extra oomph they added to our tacos!

Ingredients
1 red onion
3/4 cup white vinegar
3 Tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
5 whole allspice cloves
A few shakes of cayenne pepper

Directions
Cut the red onion into slivers. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the onions and stir for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool down. Transfer the onions and the juice to a container and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment